Thursday, May 1, 2008

manila envelope



I see what Apple did. They want to be the cool kid on the block. They took the floppy drive off first, now they take out the DVD drive. But, dammit! I want my DVD drive! I like to watch movies! I like to be able to install games I buy! I like to put CDs on my computer! I don't want to have to buy all my movies and music from iTunes. And the Air would probably be a terrible choice for those of us that want only one computer. I mean, that 'virtual drive' thing is great--
"hold on, let me go to my second computer, put the disk in, go back to my Air to view the fancy virtual drive and pretend that I didn't just waste my goddamn time." If I am going to have just one computer, make it functional and make it useful. I don't want it to be useful 10 years from now when CDs are obsolete by always-on wireless networks--I want it to be useful now when not everywhere is a free wireless hot-spot.

Also, IBM Thinkpads are amazing machines. Perhaps they don't stylistically buff all their corners to a dull-white sheen, but damn do they build a solid, functional, all-purpose machine.

No comments: